Most Holy Trinity Church is a Roman Catholic parish in the Archdiocese of New York, located at 320 East
Boston Post Road, Mamaroneck, NY 10543.
Most Holy Trinity has been in existence since 1874, one year before the Village of Mamaroneck was incorporated. The founder, Reverend Thomas McLoughlin was a Pastor in New Rochelle who would travel by wagon to Mamaroneck and other towns along the Sound, to administer the sacraments. Back then the original name of the parish was Church of Saint Thomas, but it was changed to Most Holy Trinity Church in 1875. Mamaroneck now had its first Roman Catholic Church.
Rev. Christopher A. Farrell was its first pastor. He served for two years. Other former pastors include: Bishop Joseph P. Donahue, 1913 to 1924, who eventually became vicar general of the archdiocese of N.Y., Father Francis P. Duffy, who served there in the early part of the twentieth century (Duffy was known as the chaplain of the Fighting 69th Regiment in World War I), and also Father Thomas Kelly, 1942 to 1952, who had been the confessor of Rose Hawthorne, daughter of Nathaniel Hawthorne and the founder of the Servants of Relief for Incurable Cancer. More recent pastors have included Msgr. Thomas Darby, 1969 to 1976, Msgr. John Mulroy, 1976 to 1989, Father Joseph F. Irwin, 1989 to 2012, and Father Robert P. Henry was appointed to Mamaroneck in 2012.
One of our early pastors, Rev. Isidore Meister, was responsible for the construction of a new stone church building. Parishioners helped collect and save money and the project was completed in 1886. The new building was dedicated on Sunday, August 15, 1886 by Archbishop Corrigan. Since then, succeeding pastors worked to add on to the parish with a school, convent, rectory and gymnasium.
The school, originally erected in 1928, was once staffed by Sisters of Charity. At its inception the Sisters, living at Saint Vincent's Retreat Center (presently the Hospital), traveled to and fro by surrey driven by the church custodian, Patrick Murphy. They commuted for 28 years until a convent was built on site in 1914. The Franciscan Sisters of Hastings also taught at the school. The school closed in 1987. Today the building serves as a home to our own Religious Education program, Little Flower nursery school, and BOCES adolescent education program. In addition, our school auditorium and gym building are used for various parish events, meetings and socials.
Today, Most Holy Trinity is home to about 400 families and offers four Sunday Masses. The church has adoration on Fridays, 12:30pm until Benediction at 5:00pm. Originally, the parish served early Irish and Italian immigrants, but, over the years the population has grown much more diverse. The parish strives to be a Catholic family nourished by the sacraments and centered in our belief in Jesus’ life, death and joyful resurrection, and His Gospel.
Church art and stained glass windows
Most Holy Trinity Church is known for its beautiful stained glass windows. The windows depict the following. Left side of the church (from front to rear): The Annunciation (Tabernacle area), Saint Stephen of Hungary, Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, Saint Joseph with the child Jesus, Saint Ann with the child Mary, and Saint Isidore the Farmer. Right side of the church (from front to rear): Saint Catherine of Alexandria (Baptismal area), Saint Bridget of Sweden, Saint Patrick, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, Saint Peter, Saint Gertrude the Great, and Saint Philip.
Above the altar (from left to right): Saint Athanasius, Saint Jerome, Saint Augustine, Saint Ambrose, The Holy Trinity (center), Saint Matthew, Saint John the Evangelist, Saint Isidore of Seville, and Saint Thomas Aquinas. Roof Level (Left side, front to back): Handing of the keys to Saint Peter, The Sermon on the Mount, and Jesus healing the sick. Roof Level (Right side, front to back): The Annunciation, The Nativity, and the finding of Jesus in the Temple. "The Rose" Stained Glass (over the choir loft).